The City of Metter Downtown Development Authority was established in 1985 and restructured in 2014 by the City of Metter in accordance with the Georgia Downtown Development Authority Act. The purpose of the Authority is to revitalize and redevelop the central business district of the City of Metter, Georgia; to develop and promote trade, commerce, industry and employment opportunities for the public good and general welfare; and to promote the general welfare of the State of Georgia by creating a climate favorable to the location of new industry, trade and commerce and the development of existing industry, trade and commerce within the City of Metter, Georgia.
- is eligible to receive certain grant monies for which a local business or merchants association may not qualify
- is considered to be governmental tax-exempt from an Internal Revenue perspective
- can utilize a variety of financing tools outlined in the Official Code of Georgia. Money created from the implementation of these tools can be used to bring about revitalization and economic development of the central business district.
- can work with volunteers from the local business association, citizens, the city and county to bring about the revitalization of the downtown area
- often works in cooperation with the Metter Main Street program to revitalize and promote downtown Metter as a destination.
Heidi Jeffers - Director of Tourism and Business Development
P.O. Box 74
49 S. Rountree Street, Metter, GA 30439